Emerge America and the Emerge affiliates share one mission: To increase the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office through recruitment, training, and providing a powerful network. Our vision: To change the face of power, politics, and leadership in this country in order to have policies that are responsive to all.
As the national umbrella organization, Emerge America’s role is to:
- Elevate the importance of electing more Democratic women at every level of the ballot.
- Empower our current alumnae and affiliates with support and capacity-building.
- Expand our impact by replicating our success in new states.
OVERVIEW: The Development Manager will work to support the Director of Development in building power and financial capacity both nationally and locally with our 25 (and growing) state affiliates. The Development Manager will work on all aspects of donor development, cultivation, acquisition and solicitation with an eye towards retaining and upgrading donors. The Emerge America Development Manager reports directly to the Director of Development and is based in San Francisco, CA.
- Manage online and offline development program
- Work with the Director of Development to manage all aspects of the online acquisition and fundraising plan;
- Manage the relationship with Emerge America’s online marketing consultant;
- Pull donation reports from Act Blue;
- Manage all aspects of direct fundraising for donors giving under $1000.
- Cultivate and Stewardship of Donors
- Create and manage the acknowledgement flow and process for all levels of donor;
- Work on current and new cultivation methods for donors including, but not limited to salons or house parties, monthly updates, collateral and gifts.
- Track Major Donors:
- Work with the Director of Development to research and expand prospective donor pools;
- Help manage the expansion strategy of the Leadership Circle ($1000+ annually);
- Track initial and renewal requests;
- Prepare regular donor updates and special communications;
- Oversee proper acknowledgement of all donations;
- Coordinate such activities with affiliates where appropriate.
- Plan and Execute Emerge America Events:
- Manage all aspects of the planning and execution of Emerge America’s annual events including everything from list management, budgeting, volunteer management, day of logistics, and acquisition of speakers;
- Develop and manage additional special events as needed in the Bay Area and nationally.
- Develop Fundraising Materials:
- Work in conjunction with the other staff on production and distribution of all development materials, including brochures, letters, inserts, invitations, acknowledgements, annual reports, scripts for media and special events, etc.
- Engage Board of Directors in targeted fundraising activities:
- Staff Board Fundraising committee(s) including the Expansion Campaign Cabinet;
- Identify fundraising opportunities for board and cabinet members and create system for follow-up.
Experience and Qualifications
- At least two to three years of relevant experience;
- Ability to develop trusted and effective working relationships with diverse constituencies, including boards of directors, staff, donors, volunteers and a diverse array of supporters and stakeholders;
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Experience planning large and small-scale events;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Experience with multifaceted planning processes;
- Demonstrated flexibility in problem-solving;
- Proven track record of excellent follow-through and accountability;
Preferred but not required
- Knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and political experience;
- Familiarity with database tools, NGPVAN, Basecamp, etc. a plus;
- Experience with the Emerge program a plus.
Job Schedule and Location
The Development Manager must be based in the Emerge America headquarters in San Francisco. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
Salary and Benefits
Salary Range: $45,000-$65,000 annually with generous benefits.
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the email subject “Emerge America Development Manager” to email@example.com. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics.
Emerge America will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted.
Emerge America is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices. To build the strongest possible workforce, Emerge America actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.