Do you want to recruit and train the next generation of Democratic women to run for office? Are you someone who is skilled at training and working with partners who care about getting Democratic women elected and appointed to all levels of office?
Emerge is seeking a Deputy Training Director to lead our best-in-class training programs and alumni engagement for our broad network. This individual will lead recruitment and outreach for candidate trainings; work with partners to host both in-person and virtual events; update as well as create new training curricula; and also manage Emerge’s educational series for our 5,500 alumni and counting.
The Deputy Training Director will report to the Political Director and is a full-time position based remotely or out of our Washington D.C. office.
Emerge is changing the face of politics to create an inclusive democracy. We are the nation’s premier organization that recruits, trains, and provides a powerful network to Democratic women who want to run for office. Since 2002, Emerge has trained 5,500 Democratic women to run for office and there are more than 1,200 Emerge alums currently in elected office.
Our Core Values:
Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the women whose political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system.
What You’ll Do
The Deputy Training Director will be skilled in training, relationship management and also have an eye for detail to manage administrative aspects of the role.
- Oversee and facilitate all Emerge trainings, which includes boot camps, signature programs, Seated Together, Gavel In and additional programming;
- Lead recruitment and selection process including managing application systems, responding to applicant questions, researching potential applicants and conducting the selection process;
- Facilitate train the trainer sessions for Emerge affiliate staff, develop resources and provide ongoing support for affiliate trainings;
- Assist with planning and executing affiliate first day trainings, equity and justice trainings, and step in to train or execute state affiliate trainings if necessary or by request;
- Conduct, facilitate, and/or coordinate other Emerge trainings as needed;
- Oversee all operational and logistical needs for virtual, hybrid and in-person trainings;
- Manage and coordinate the day-of for in-person and hybrid trainings, including room set up, material printing and assembly, and packing up after training;
- Execute and facilitate Emerge trainings for partners and external stakeholders and,
- Summarize and participate in training debriefs and program evaluations.
- Foster relationships with partners including Emerge affiliates and external partners to identify opportunities for collaboration and support Emerge training needs;
- Cultivate relationships with trainers nationwide and maintain a database of available trainers based on subject matter expertise;
- Host office hours to serve as a thought partner and to troubleshoot challenges and,
- Represent Emerge at speaking engagements when appropriate.
- Collaboratively create and modify curriculum, recruitment materials training content for various training programs;
- Compile, create and share new recruitment materials for Emerge affiliates and external partners;
- Edit, update, and answer questions about trainings on Emerge’s website;
- Manage submission of receipts to accounting system;
- Complete additional tasks surrounding logistics for in-person and virtual events and training (paperwork, tuition payment, etc);
- Coordinate a communications calendar for alumni engagement over various channels including social media and email and,
- Other duties as assigned.
Who You Are
We are seeking candidates with deep training experience, ideally in the campaign, nonprofit or advocacy sectors. While experience in a similar role in the political sector is not required, a commitment to the advancement of Democratic women in politics is.
More specifically, you will have or be most or all of the following:
- You have 4-6 years prior professional experience;
- You have 3-5 years of experience as a trainer and/or facilitator;
- You are able to create and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, partners and stakeholders that come from a variety of backgrounds;
- You have excellent interpersonal and relational skills, including competency working cross culturally and in diverse teams to foster an equitable and inclusive environment;
- You have experience building a curriculum and/or developing material for a program, and sharing out that program;
- You have strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple streams of work;
- You have strong data and analytical skills;
- You are familiar with Google Suite, EveryAction/NGP or other similar database tools, Zoom, and online website management tools such as WordPress;
- You are comfortable learning new database and technical skills as needs arise;
- You have experience working on a campaign or at a political organization and,
- Bilingual or multilingual is a plus.
- Some weekends and evenings are required.
- This position could include up to 20% travel.
Salary and Benefits
Emerge offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, and 401k retirement plan. We also offer an unlimited PTO plan and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team of mission-driven people. Salary Range: $85,000- $90,000
This position is included in a union-represented collective bargaining unit, and specific employment terms are subject to collective bargaining.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the email subject “Deputy Training Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics.
Emerge will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.