Emerge America and the Emerge affiliates share one mission: to increase the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office through recruitment, training and providing a powerful network. Our vision: to change the face of power, politics and leadership in this country in order to have policies that are responsive to all. We are operating in 25 states and just came off of an incredibly successful election cycle—our alumnae won 415 races, including five who ran for Congress.
As the national umbrella organization, Emerge America’s role is to:
- Elevate the importance of electing more Democratic women at every level of the ballot.
- Empower our current alumnae and affiliates with support and capacity-building.
- Expand our impact by replicating our successes in new states.
Emerge America is seeking a person with high energy, ability to multi-task and incredible attention to detail to assist with our mission. The ideal candidate for the Affiliate Coordinator position has deep knowledge of communications and politics, as well as a passion for seeing more Democratic women elected to office.
- Help train new EDs and staff around technology and communications
- Help new and struggling states with fundraising, materials, website and NGP questions
- Run and manage the online application system for all affiliate states; work to make improvements as necessary
- Update and maintain state websites as needed
- Oversee the delivery of technical assistance and coaching to states in budgeting, board and alumnae development, fundraising and strategic planning
- Assist with the onboarding process for new state affiliate employees
- Oversee all operational and logistical needs for new executive director trainings
- Oversee all operational and logistical needs for annual all-staff retreat
- Oversee all operational and logistical needs for the affiliate staff day of our biannual national convening
- Provide administrative, scheduling and project support to the Affiliate Director of the organization; assist in all organizational tasks, as needed
- Assist Affiliate Director with meeting follow up
- Train and support Emerge state staff to utilize our shared NGP database;
- Assist with the maintenance, training and yearly use of the Emerge online application among the Emerge states
Training and Curriculum Support:
- Oversee all operational and logistical needs for regional boot camps, including recruitment and admissions
- Train boot camp and signature program participants as needed
- Help as needed for the Training and Curriculum Director
Experience and Qualifications
- Enthusiasm for the advancement of Democratic women in politics;
- Outstanding organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to prioritize tasks and keep track of multiple projects;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Excellent web skills and comfort trouble-shooting with technology;
- Comfortable learning new technologies and computer skills;
- Ability to create and maintain friendly and professional relationships with staff;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to think creatively and work independently;
- Demonstrated flexibility in problem-solving;
- An understanding of the Democratic political community.
Preferred but not required:
- Experience working for a political organization;
- Experience working on a campaign;
- Experience working with NGP/VAN.
Job Schedule and Location
The Affiliate Coordinator will work in the Emerge America office from 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some evening and weekend work will be required, with travel 3-4 times per year. This position is located in Emerge America’s Washington, DC office.
Salary and Benefits
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the email subject “Emerge America Affiliate Coordinator Application” to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics.
Emerge America will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the women whose political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system.