Emerge Washington Executive Director Job Description
Emerge Washington is a new political leadership training program for Democratic women being launched in Washington in 2017. Our mission is to identify, train, and inspire Democratic women to pursue public office at the local, state and national levels. Emerge Washington becomes the 18th state of a national network working in these states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin. For more information about the entire Emerge America network, please visit www.emergeamerica.org.
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented, and dynamic individual to serve as a full time Executive Director. This position will report to the Chair of the Board of Directors and will work with the local state board. The Executive Director will build and maintain the organization’s infrastructure, implement the Emerge curriculum with the assistance from Emerge America, aid board management, ensure the organization’s operational funding requirements and support program members and alumnae.
The Executive Director organizes the Emerge Washington training program and is responsible for building and maintaining the organizational infrastructure.
- Manage program member outreach, recruitment, and selection process with the State Board;
- Identify, secure, and support Emerge curriculum trainers;
- Organize weekend training sessions of the Emerge program, including scheduling speakers, organizing curriculum materials and food/beverage for each session.
Fundraising and financial management
- Lead an effort to help Emerge Washington work toward sustainability;
- Raise fundraising budget along with the national organization;
- Develop new sources of revenues;
- Set up and organize fundraising events;
- Hire fundraising consultant(s), if needed;
- Develop and expand lists of potential donors;
- Maintain all financial management system and accounting records for the organization;
- Meet fundraising goals as set forth by contract.
- Manage Board of Directors and board committees;
- Communicate with board and organize and set meeting schedules, agendas and locations.
Partnership and relationships
- Represent the organization and expand Emerge Washington’s network of diverse constituents;
- Develop relationships with elected officials, political activists; non-profit organizations, political communities, and press;
- Work with the Emerge national organization, Emerge America, and other Emerge states by participating in national conventions and calls, and sharing best practices and other technical assistance as needed;
- Manage relationships with Emerge program members, alumnae, Advisory Board, and Board of Directors;
- Maintain the Emerge Washington database of donors, alumnae, and other parties as well as the Emerge Washington’s state website;
- Other duties and special projects, as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated commitment to Democratic political organizing;
- Passion for the issue of advancing women in politics;
- Knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and politics;
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with diverse and multi-cultural constituencies, including boards of directors, staff, donors, volunteers and an array of supporters and stakeholders;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Effective multi-tasking abilities and efficiency in time management. Ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
- Comfort with public speaking;
- Minimum of five years relevant professional work experience preferred;
- Non-profit management experience across the following areas preferred: board development, financial management, press, and program development;
- Minimum of three years relevant fundraising experience preferred.
JOB SCHEDULE AND LOCATION:
- Washington statewide travel required;
- Valid license and vehicle required;
- Some evening and monthly weekend hours for events and trainings;
- Flexible hours;
- Emerge Washington has been granted office space at The Riveter located in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood
Emerge America is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.
For consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume to: Judy Neufeld at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 29, 2017