Emerge South Carolina Seeks an Executive Director
Founded in 2017, Emerge South Carolina is the premier political leadership training organization for Democratic women in South Carolina. Our mission is to recruit, train and inspire Democratic women to pursue public office at the local, state and national levels through our 6-month campaign training program. Emerge South Carolina’s work is sorely needed. The Palmetto State ranks 47th in terms of female representation in the state legislature, with women making up a mere 14 percent. What’s more, South Carolina currently has no women serving in Congress and there are only two women mayors or executives in towns with 30,000 or more people. Emerge South Carolina is an affiliate of Emerge America, a national organization currently working in 21 states: Arizona, Alabama, California, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.
For more information about Emerge America and Emerge South Carolina, please visit:http://www.emergeamerica.org/EmergeSC
OPPORTUNITY FOR EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented, self-disciplined and entrepreneurial individual to serve as the full time Executive Director. The ED reports to the Chair of the Board of Directors and works with state board members to achieve organizational goals. The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to: fundraising and budget management, program implementation, class recruitment, board management and support for program members and alumnae.
The Executive Director will organize and facilitate Emerge South Carolina’s flagship training program and is responsible for building and maintaining the organizational infrastructure. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Program & Communications
- Recruit and inspire Democratic women from diverse backgrounds to run for office;
- Execute our flagship 6-month campaign training, including managing all training logistics, scheduling, recruiting and preparing trainers;
- Support and engage Emerge South Carolina alumnae to further our mission;
- Serve as spokesperson for the organization;
- Manage all external communication for the organization;
- Represent the organization at coalition meetings and with partner organizations;
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders.
Fundraising & Administration
- Manage day-to-day operations for the organization;
- Direct all fundraising efforts, with Board involvement, including: event management, donor solicitation; Board and Advisory Council efforts, regular email solicitation, and mailings;
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with donors;
- Administer the organization’s database.
- Build and manage relationships with the Board of Directors and oversee all board governance, including scheduling and preparing for board meetings, participating in board recruitment, development and training and managing all board committees;
- Develop a vision and strategic plan to advance the organization’s mission;
- Ensure that Emerge South Carolina is actively participating with our national affiliate, Emerge America;
- Identify opportunities to expand programmatic offerings to support the mission of Emerge South Carolina.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required;
- Demonstrated commitment to Democratic ideals;
- Strong, proven fundraising skills and organizational skills;
- Passion for and knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and political campaigns;
- Comfort with public speaking and excellent written and oral communications;
- Experience working on multiple political campaigns, preferably at least one at the South Carolina state level and one at the county or municipal level
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional work experience;
- Ability to develop trusted and effective working relationships with diverse constituencies, including boards of directors, staff, donors, elected officials, volunteers and an array of supporters and stakeholders;
- Effective organizational skills, multi-tasking abilities, attention to detail and efficiency in time management;
- Ability to work independently and self-motivate;
- Ability to oversee the strategic planning process, including the development of measurable goals and implementation of the strategic plan;
- Non-profit management experience in some of the following functions: boards of directors, budgets, administrative functions, program development and fundraising.
- Fluency with Google and MS Office tools (Docs/Slides/Sheets and Word/PowerPoint/Excel), as well as Google Drive and other cloud-based document sharing tools such as box.com, dropbox.com, etc.
- Proficiency with social media platforms, e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Familiarity with database tools, NGP VAN, etc. a plus;
JOB SCHEDULE AND LOCATION
- Remote location negotiable (must be in South Carolina)
- Extensive in-state travel and some out-of-state travel is required;
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle and willingness to travel by air is required; and
- Flexible work hours, including weekend and evenings hours.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- $50,000-$60,000 commensurate with experience
- Health, dental and vision benefits
- Auto/Travel reimbursement/stipend
- Cell phone/internet/computer allowance/stipend
- Access to high speed internet, printer
- Safe, well maintained and fully insured automobile
- Cell phone with unlimited data
Emerge South Carolina strives to reflect the diverse communities that we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
For consideration, please submit a thoughtful cover letter, writing sample, social media contact information, resume, and three professional references by the close of business on July 20, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.