Revised: June 29, 2021
Emerge is changing the face of politics to create an inclusive democracy. We are the nation’s premier organization that recruits, trains, and provides a powerful network to Democratic women who want to run for office. Since 2002, Emerge has trained more than 4,500 Democratic women to run for office and there are more than 1000 Emerge alumnae currently in elected office.
As we look toward the next phase for Emerge, our Political Director will be a dynamic member of the senior leadership team working to engage our elected alumnae, help our affiliates strategically recruit for key seats in their states, and leverage our national partnerships. The Emerge Political Director reports to the Chief of Staff and is a full-time position. Travel, up to 30% to visit affiliates in addition to evening and weekend work are required. This position will be based in Washington, DC.
At Emerge, diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system.
- Serve in collaboration with and in lieu of the President as the primary liaison with national and state partners and ally organizations;
- Oversee the work of the Political and Training Department;
- Represent and build the profile of Emerge at meetings, conferences, and events;
- Develop a national recruitment plan and work in conjunction with affiliate executive directors to strategically recruit for targeted seats (or other seats depending on the state) throughout the year;
- Leverage relationships with key allies and strengthen organizational partnerships that will enable us to continue to recruit diverse and intersectional women who will have multiple platforms when running;
- Strategically engage and support elected Emerge alumnae;
- Collaborate as a member of the leadership team to develop quantitative and qualitative metrics and guide strategic and execution decisions for Emerge;
- Serve as decision-maker on the participation of national, state, and local partners in collaboration with Emerge leadership;
- Maintain relationships with partners and develop new relationships and opportunities to support and promote the work of Emerge;
- Work to bolster the visibility of our alumnae to the Democratic infrastructure, partners, and allied organizations;
- Maintain a cutting-edge knowledge of the impact of women on public policy and politics;
- Assist the President and affiliate leadership as needed on special projects.
- 8+ years of relevant experience, with 2+ years of management/leadership experience. Preference for candidates who have worked in national or electoral organizations;
- Proven analytical skills and experience in applying them to evaluate geopolitical priorities;
- Track record of developing positive and constructive working relationships with major Democratic politicians, party leaders, unions, activists, women’s organizations, coalition groups, donors/supporters, and other key segments of the Democratic coalition;
- Experienced in national, state, and local politics;
- Understanding of and ability to make recommendations for affiliate expansion based on political climates, polling, research, funding capacity, and other criteria for expansion;
- Exceptional self-awareness and interpersonal skills, including competency working cross-culturally and in diverse teams to create equitable and inclusive environments;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience with multifaceted planning processes;
- Proven track record of excellent follow-through and accountability;
- Detail-oriented self-starter with the ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team;
Benefits and Salary
Emerge offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, and 401k retirement plan. We also offer a generous PTO plan and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team of mission-driven people. Salary range: $110,000-$120,000
How to Apply
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter, resume, and social media contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Emerge Political Director Application.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics.
Emerge will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.
We do not discriminate on the basis of gender diversity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabilities, religion, age, education, citizenship status, or socioeconomic status. Emerge is an anti-racist space with a lived equality and an inclusive workspace where we work to center equity, justice, diversity, and accessibility.