Director of Finance
Do you want to put your financial and analytic superpowers to work to support the training of Democratic women to run for office? Are you known for using spreadsheets for everything? Are numbers your thing?
Emerge is seeking a Director of Finance who will be responsible for overseeing accounting, financial management, budgeting, audit, and tax functions for both our 527 and 501c4. The ideal candidate will be a strategic financial leader who will be a trusted member of the leadership team, who will also manage the senior accountant. The Director of Finance will be responsible for both day-to-day general accounting duties and the strategic financial management of Emerge as well as compliance with all relevant local, state, and federal regulations and accounting principles. The Director of Finance will ensure the continued financial viability of Emerge and the integrity of financial policies, systems, and reporting.
The Director of Finance is a regular, full-time position that reports to the Chief of Staff. The position can be based anywhere in the United States.
Emerge is fundamentally changing the face of politics in this country by breaking down barriers, opening doors, and creating pathways for Democratic women to get involved in politics. We are the nation’s premier organization that recruits, trains, and provides a powerful network to Democratic women who want to run for office. Since 2002, Emerge has trained more than 4,500 Democratic women to run for office and there are more than 1000 Emerge alumnae currently in elected office.
Our Core Values:
What You’ll Do
- Manage all day-to-day accounting functions of Emerge and our new 501c4 arm, including ensuring quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting;
- Maintain, design, and improve accurate fiscal policies, accounting procedures, and the technology that powers them;
- Direct and project manage the Finance Team (and serve as an individual contributor to perform closing tasks as needed) to accurate and timely month-end, and year-end closes;
- Own important compliance functions like leading our annual audit, tax reporting, grant reporting, and related party transactions by maintaining accurate revenue and cost allocations
- Regularly report to our leadership team the actuals for the combined and team budgets, having ensured those actuals were accurate and easy to pull;
- Lead budgeting, including the development of multi-year budgets for strategic planning, annual operating budgets, quarterly reforecasts, and project budgets;
- Design and implement systems to maintain internal controls, process transactions efficiently, ensure legal compliance, and provide timely information;
- Prepare monthly financial statements and budget vs. actual reports for management, state affiliates, and the Board of Trustees;
- Work with legal counsel and staff to comply with federal and state laws and regulations, as well as responding to inquiries from government agencies;
- Oversee and coordinate preparation of IRS Form 8872 quarterly, IRS Form 990, annual reviews, or audits;
- Build financial management competency among staff, state executive directors, and volunteer boards;
- Share information about financial health, plans, and performance with key stakeholders to support transparency, accountability, and strategic decision making.
Who You Are
We are seeking candidates with deep financial and management accounting experience, ideally in both nonprofit and political settings. While experience in a similar role in the political sector is not required, a commitment to the advancement of Democratic women in politics is.
More specifically, you will have or be most or all of the following:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including competency working cross culturally and in diverse teams to create an equitable and inclusive environment;
- Experience developing others and managing a high-performing team to set and achieve ambitious, achievable goals;
- Experience successfully and responsibly leading the accounting functions and tasks of a nonprofit organization;
- Experience managing the accounting for organizations with multiple entities and different tax status’ (namely 527’s and 501c4’s);
- You have led processes around cost allocation systems, department- or program-level reporting and analysis, and financial audit preparation;
- You demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of how finance and operations must follow from, and enable what, the organization wants to achieve programmatically;
- When faced with a financial mystery you put on your detective hat and dive into the details;
- You are rigorous about testing the accuracy and reliability of your numbers. When you find a discrepancy, you troubleshoot with a can-do attitude and critical eye;
- You can also zoom out from the details of the numbers, ask “what led to this problem,” and propose or implement practical solutions for the future;
- You can create and revamp strong accounting systems and financial controls that are practical, yet creative where appropriate;
- You discern what tasks require the highest level of care and accuracy and when good enough is good enough;
- You are results-oriented and have experience and expertise in building systems, processes, and internal controls that make managing complex finances more efficient, effective, and transparent;
- You bring a passion for making things work well and an ability to handle a large volume of work impeccably in a high-performing environment;
- You strategically prioritize the most important and impactful projects, juggle competing demands in a way that keeps things moving forward, and you take leadership on regulatory compliance tasks.
What Else You Should Know
At Emerge, diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system
Salary and Benefits
Emerge offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, and 401k retirement plan. We also offer a generous PTO plan and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team of mission-driven people. The salary range is between $100,000 and $110,000 depending on experience.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the email subject “Director of Finance” to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics.
Emerge will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.