Deputy Major Gifts Director
Emerge is seeking a motivated, dynamic, and creative fundraising professional well versed in non-profit development work and donor-centric fundraising. The Deputy Major Gifts Director will be responsible for developing and implementing donor cultivation and stewardship strategies, preparing proposals and reports tailored to these donors, and facilitating donor outreach. A successful candidate will be an exceptional relationship builder with a passion for the work that we do. If you are excited about getting Democratic women elected up and down the ballot and helping to raise the crucial funds to support that mission, then this is the job for you.
The Deputy Major Gifts Director is a regular full-time remote position that reports to the Chief Development Officer.
Emerge is changing the face of politics to create an inclusive democracy. We are the nation’s premier organization that recruits, trains, and provides a powerful network to Democratic women who want to run for office. Since 2002, Emerge has trained 5,000 Democratic women to run for office and there are more than 1,000 Emerge alums currently in elected office.
Our Core Values:
At Emerge, diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our mission. We want our team to reflect the incredible diversity of the political power we seek to build. Therefore, we especially encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities and members of other groups who are underrepresented in our political system.
Donor Relations and Portfolio Management
- Develop and implement strategies for major donor identification, outreach, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship that may also focus on a U.S. geographic region, constituency and/or funding initiative;
- Independently manage a portfolio of 100+ prospective donors at various stages of cultivation towards solicitation;
- Develop unique cultivation and stewardship opportunities, such as small events for select donors/prospects in the portfolio, and participate in broader donor cultivation events;
- Create a comprehensive cultivation and solicitation strategy for each donor in the portfolio and directly solicit major gifts;
- Plan and document strategy, specific prospect activity and constituent updates for each assigned prospect;
- Analyze donor giving/involvement and potential for increasing;
- Regularly review and analyze donor trending data to make sure the most effective strategies are being employed;
- Make weekly contacts through phone, email, handwritten notes, including face to face meetings;
- Develop and implement engagement strategies and approaches aimed at advancing donors into higher levels of giving;
- Build relationships with donors and ensure all major giving donors receive appropriate, consistent recognition and an accounting of the impact of their gift on the organization;
- Collaborate with our State Affiliate staff and volunteer on joint meetings/events/asks, when appropriate;
Communications and Reporting
- Coordinate with the development and communications teams to draft proposals, correspondence, and other material for prospect/donor information, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship;
- Prepare regular activity reports and provide consistent and timely communication to the CDO on next steps, strategies, and proposals for major gift-level prospects;
- Remain updated on current marketing materials and special events;
- Write informed, compelling, and tailored funding/partnership proposals;
- Maintain accurate donor/prospect information in donor database;
- Work with the appropriate staff to secure project information to develop personalized materials directed at individual donors/prospects that are in line with donor interests, programmatic priorities, and reports that detail progress made because of a gift, etc.;
- Collaborate on other Emerge strategic fundraising initiatives and events;
- Maintain working knowledge of Emerge programmatic priorities;
- Travel will be required, estimated up to 30% or more as needed, including frequent trips to specific target areas;
- Some evening and weekend hours required for outreach or event participation; and
- Other duties as needed.
Who You Are
Emerge is seeking candidates with at least 5 years of non-profit development and fundraising experience, ideally in a political setting.
In addition, Emerge is seeking the following specific qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal and relational skills, including competency working cross culturally and in diverse teams to create an equitable and inclusive environment;
- Natural relationship-builder who can find and make connections between people’s passions and the mission of the organization;
- A documented track record of successfully soliciting and managing current and prospective donors at the major gifts level ($10,000+);
- At least five (5) years prior experience;
- A proven track record of successful face-to-face individual gift solicitation;
- Highly developed relationship management skills grounded in superb communication and effective listening;
- A knowledge of how best to utilize/maximize/analyze prospect research;
- A motivated self-starter who takes initiative, anticipates, challenges, and follows through to deliver results;
- Proven experience in identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and sustaining donor relationships;
- Prior experience preparing and presenting project proposals to and/or negotiating with donors/prospects;
- Proficient working knowledge and ability to accurately and timely operate Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision, to manage multiple priorities, and to work in a deadline driven environment;
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of professional demeanor, communicate, and work successfully with a wide variety of constituents including donors, board members, volunteers, and consultants to build lasting relationships; and
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to track and manage multiple projects.
Preferred but not required:
- Knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and political experience;
- Familiarity with database tools, NGPVAN, Asana, etc. a plus
Emerge offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, and 401k retirement plan. We also offer a generous holiday plan, unlimited PTO, and the opportunity to work with a dynamic team of mission-driven people. Salary Range: $85,000-$95,000
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the email subject “Deputy Major Gifts Director” to email@example.com. In your cover letter, include a description of how your background aligns with this position and an explanation of your interest in women in politics.
Emerge will not be able to respond to all applicants. Only those who qualify for an interview will be contacted. NO CALLS PLEASE.