Launched in 2015, Emerge Michigan is a training program for Democratic women who want to run for public office. Our mission is to identify, educate and inspire Democratic women to pursue elective office at the local, state and national levels. Emerge Michigan is part of a national network, Emerge America, currently working in sixteen states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin.
We are seeking a highly motivated, talented, and dynamic individual to serve as the Executive Director. This position will report to the Chair of the Board of Directors and will work with the local state board. The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to: fundraising and development, program promotion and implementation, class recruitment, board management, and support for program members and alumnae.
The Executive Director organizes the Emerge Michigan training program and is responsible for building and maintaining the organizational infrastructure. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead the organization in its commitment to furthering our mission;
- Develop a vision and strategic plan to advance the organization’s mission to train Democratic women to pursue public office, and when necessary, update the update components of the vision and strategic plan in collaboration with the Board of Directors;
- Direct fundraising and development efforts, with Board involvement, through signature fundraising events, soliciting major donors, and managing the Advisory Council;
- Administer the training programs, including organizing weekend training sessions of flagship Emerge training program, scheduling and preparing trainers, organizing curriculum materials and arranging logistics, and supporting the Emerge program members;
- Build and manage relationships with the Board of Directors and oversee all board governance, including scheduling and preparing for board meetings, participating in board recruitment, development, and training, and managing all board committees;
- Manage program member recruitment and selection process to ensure a diverse class;
- Oversee all external communications, including developing relationships with the press, implementing a communications plan, managing Emerge’s website and social media accounts;
- Represent the organization by participating in coalitions and developing relationships with elected officials, political activists, and community organizations to further mission;
- Support and engage all Emerge Michigan alumnae to keep them connected to the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required;
- Demonstrated commitment to Democratic ideals;
- Strong fundraising skills and organizational skills;
- Passion for and knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and Michigan politics;
- Comfort with public speaking and excellent written and oral communications;
- Experience working on political campaigns;
- Minimum of 5 years relevant professional work experience;
- Ability to develop trusted and effective working relationships with diverse and multi-cultural constituencies, including boards of directors, staff, donors, volunteers and a diverse array of supporters and stakeholders;
- Effective multi-tasking abilities and efficiency in time management;
- Ability to work independently and self-motivate;
- Ability to oversee the strategic planning process, including the development of measurable goals, and implementation of the strategic plan;
- Non-profit management experience in some of the following functions: boards of directors, staff, budgets, administrative functions, program development and fundraising.
For consideration, please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to: email@example.com by January 11.