About Emerge America
Emerge America and the Emerge affiliates share one mission: To increase the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office through recruitment, training, and providing a powerful network. Our vision: To change the face of power, politics, and leadership in this country in order to have policies that are responsive to all.
As the national umbrella organization, Emerge America’s role is to:
• Elevate the importance of electing more Democratic women at every level of the ballot.
• Empower our current alumnae and affiliates with support and capacity-building.
• Expand our impact by replicating our success in new states.
As we look toward 2020, Emerge America is actively recruiting a dynamic leader to help lead our staff and operations during a time of rapid and strategic growth. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise solid and independent judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication skills, sophisticated organizational and administrative experience and be able to work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment. S/he will have strong management experience, with a proven track record of developing and mentoring senior staff. The Emerge America Chief of Staff will be a full-time position reporting to the President, responsible for strategic management of the organization, including meeting and exceeding organizational goals.
• Responsible for overall leadership of staff in the development and implementation of short and long term strategic goals, policies, day to day activities and other activities;
• Oversee the hiring of and directly manage, mentor and develop national staff;
• Provide information, advice, and counsel to the President in the creation of policies and strategic direction of the organization;
• Execute prudent financial management of the organization;
• Approve final content for all external communications;
• Responsible for supporting all activities associated with the Board of Directors, including staffing for all Board and Committee meetings, meeting schedules, locations, development of agenda, and meeting materials;
• With Operations Director, oversee compliance to Human Resources policies and legal compliance related to Emerge America’s 527 tax status;
• Support Affiliate Director in maintaining excellent state relations between Emerge America and its state affiliates including the development and adherence to state affiliation and licensing agreements
• Oversee the organization of National and Executive Director Convenings;
• Oversee with Communication Director the creation and implementation of any public relations campaigns;
• Support staff in the creation and execution of any new programming;
• Ensure the organization and its mission, programs and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders;
• Maintain a cutting-edge knowledge of the impact of women on public policy and politics;
• Maintain effective lines of communication, keeping the President fully informed of all critical issues;
• Assist the President and affiliate leadership as needed on special projects.
Experience and Qualifications
• At least 7 years of experience managing and overseeing a national and/or state organization;
• Fiscal and organizational management experience;
• Experience working in an affiliate structure a plus;
• Excellent leadership and communication skills;
• Experience managing remote staff a plus;
• An understanding of the national Democratic political community; existing relationships a plus;
• Entrepreneurial spirit and experience managing growth and change a plus;
• Strong writing and communication skills;
• Experience with multifaceted planning processes;
• Demonstrated skill flexibility in problem-solving and excellent ability to constructively manage conflict/create consensus;
• Proven track record of excellent follow-through and accountability;
• Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail;
• Knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and political experience a plus;
• Familiarity with database tools, NGPVAN a plus.
This position is based at Emerge America’s San Francisco Headquarters and travel, evening and weekend work will be necessary. Salary is commensurate with experience and benefits will be provided.
In your cover letter, explain why you would like to join Emerge America and why your skills are appropriate for this position. Please include your salary requirements. Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
. No calls please.
Emerge America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.