Top Four Reasons to Join the Emerge America Team:
Emerge America recruits, trains and provides a powerful network for Democratic women interested in running for office. Emerge is the only in-depth, six-month training program that inspires women to run and gives them the tools to win. We have affiliates across the country and our mission is to increase the number of Democratic women in all levels of public office. We’re a great team to join. Here’s why:
- Hands on experience. This is not a ‘pick up my coffee’ kind of internship. You will get the chance to play an integral role within our teams: development, communications, organization, affiliates and political. You will gain an understanding of the democratic platform, have the opportunity to learn strategies for getting women to run for office and win and have exposure to a wide network of politically engaged individuals.
- We want you to thrive. At Emerge America you will be an important member of a national network that is transforming the face of American politics. You will receive mentorship and training that will help you to hone your ability to build a diverse and robust network. You will have the opportunity to participate in political events, such as fundraisers and discussions, and to learn industry skills.
- Hours are flexible. We ask Emerge America summer interns to commit at least 25 hours per week. Internship applicants must be current students.
- This is a paid internship. Stipends range between $2,000- $4,000. More information will be given during the interview round.
Emerge America is recruiting six summer interns for our growing and fast-paced organization. More information about each department is below.
The Affiliate intern will:
- Work with the alumnae director to track and manage alumnae information, candidates, elections and appointments;
- Assist the affiliate manager with large-scale event management, including the all-staff conference;
- NGP assistance for states as needed;
- Assist with new state staff onboarding.
*Knowledge of NGP or experience with a database is a plus.
The Communications intern will:
- Assist in writing letters to the editors, op-eds and press releases for distribution to media;
- Help manage website content and updates;
- Design social media graphics and help with managing editorial calendar;
- Help manage social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram);
- Develop and implement social media initiatives and campaigns;
- Conduct extensive research for media purposes, creating briefings and writing marketing materials;
- Prepare communications materials, talking points, etc.;
- Manage press lists.
* Knowledge of Canva and Adobe Suite is a plus.
The Political intern will:
- Support the Project Manager in data collection for political mapping and coordinating information regarding targeting and strategic recruitment;
- Assist with managing partner lists and partner engagement;
- Assist with logistics around Emerge America political events, meetings and trainings;
- Help the Expansion Director and Political Manager with reports to developing affiliates;
- Help with youth/millennial engagement projects;
- Organize and update the national and local political event calendars;
- Represent Emerge America at political events and meetings, as needed;
- Provide political support to Emerge America state affiliates, as needed;
- Utilize NGP to manage databases.
*Campaign experience and experience with NGP is a plus.
The Training and Curriculum intern will:
- Support the Training and Curriculum Director in day-to-day political operations;
- Support operational and logistical needs for national boot camps, “Step Forward” trainings and others as they may arise;
- Support recruitment and application efforts for training programs;
- Research and consolidate best practices in electoral campaigns and elections;
- Draft curriculum and training materials around field, fundraising, communications, etc.;
- Provide training support to Emerge America state affiliates, as needed.
*Experience with education or curriculum creation is a plus.
The Development intern will:
(San Francisco, CA)
- Enthusiastic about political fundraising;
- Assist with research projects;
- Maintain donor database;
- Assist with drafting thank you letters and acknowledgments;
- Aid staff with the planning of fundraising events, as well as attending events alongside the team.
The Operations intern will:
(San Francisco, CA)
- Help with the day-to-day needs of the office;
- Maintain and order supplies ;
- Assist with research and information gathering for various projects;
- Perform a variety of data collection and analysis assignments;
- Assist with monthly financial reports.
* High-level strategic thinking and strong analytical skills are a plus.
Qualities you should possess:
- Passion for the advancement of women in politics;
- Eagerness to participate in and learn the ins and outs of a political organization;
- Be a proactive problem solver;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Strong research skills;
- Ability to manage multiple projects consecutively;
- A willingness to learn.
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Familiar with general office operations;
- Professional and clear communication skills;
- Comfortable speaking over the phone;
- Familiar with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and/or LinkedIn;
- Comfortable with technology.
Does this sound like you? If so, apply here!
If you do not have gmail or a gsuite account, please submit a pdf resume, pdf writing sample (max two pages) and pdf cover letter indicating the office (SF or DC) and semester you are interested in working at to email@example.com with the subject line “(Your Name) National Internship Program)”.
Emerge America will not be able to respond to all applicants. NO CALLS PLEASE.
Emerge America strives to reflect the diverse communities that we serve. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.