Emerge America and the Emerge affiliates share one mission: To increase the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office through recruitment, training, and providing a powerful network. Our vision: To change the face of power, politics, and leadership in this country in order to have policies that are responsive to all.
As the national umbrella organization, Emerge America’s role is to:
- Elevate the importance of electing more Democratic women at every level of the ballot.
- Empower our current alumnae and affiliates with support and capacity-building.
- Expand our impact by replicating our success in new states.
Emerge America is actively recruiting for a dynamic leader with expertise in development and strategic relationships. The new FinanceDirector will work to build power and financial capacity both nationally and locally with our 17 state (and growing) network. The Emerge America Finance Director reports directly to the President and is a full-time position based in San Francisco, CA.
The Emerge America Finance Director coordinates and takes primary responsibility for all individual, labor union, event and online fundraising activities of Emerge America and strategically supports and coaches our 17 states to also achieve fundraising excellence.
- Create yearly fundraising plan:
- Work with the President to set goals and timelines for multiple fundraising projects, aligning them with both our internal organizational calendar and the external program calendars
- Prepare and oversee implementation of organizational fundraising calendar, including proposal and report deadlines, major donor renewal requests, regular communications, and other projects
- Cultivate Major Donors:
- Develop prospective donors
- Set-up and staff one-on-one meetings with current and potential major donors with Emerge America President
- Track initial and renewal requests
- Prepare regular donor updates and special communications
- Oversee proper acknowledgement of all donations
- Coordinate such activities with affiliates where appropriate
- Plan and Execute Emerge America Events:
- Plan and execute Emerge America’s annual fall event in San Francisco
- Develop and manage additional special events as needed in the Bay Area and across the country
- Develop Fundraising Materials:
- Work in conjunction with the other staff on production and distribution of all development materials, including brochures, letters, inserts, invitations, acknowledgements, annual reports, scripts for media and special events, etc.
- Engage Board of Directors in targeted fundraising activities:
- Staff Board Fundraising committee
- Identify fundraising opportunities for board members, and create system for follow- up
- Assist affiliates in developing fundraising capacity:
- Take lead on designing and implementing joint fundraising projects between Emerge America and affiliates
- Provide or organize training to affiliates on all aspects of fundraising
Experience and Qualifications
- At least three to five years of relevant experience
- Ability to develop trusted and effective working relationships with diverse and multi-cultural constituencies, including boards of directors, staff, donors, volunteers and a diverse array of supporters and stakeholders
- Experience and demonstrated skill in non-profit fundraising, including:
- Creating a fundraising plan
- Writing proposals
- Cultivating major donors
- Building an individual donor fundraising program
- Organizing successful fundraising events
- Developing diverse and repeatable sources of income
- Experience planning large and small scale events;
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Experience with multifaceted planning processes;
- Demonstrated flexibility in problem-solving;
- Proven track record of excellent follow-through and accountability;
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Knowledge of women’s political leadership issues and political experience;
- Familiarity with database tools, NGPVAN, Basecamp, etc. a plus;
- Experience with the Emerge program a plus.
Some travel, evening and weekend work are required for this position. Salary commensurate with experience/Benefits provided.
Emerge America is based in San Francisco with an additional office in Washington, DC. This position would be based in our San Francisco office and would work closely with the Emerge America President.
Application Deadline is January 28th, 2017.
In your cover letter, explain why you would like to join Emerge America and why your skills are appropriate for this position. Please include your salary expectations. Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
Emerge America is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.